Montgomery County | Since 1922
Oldest operating cafe in Montgomery and stanly counties.
6423 NC Hwy 73 W. Mount Gilead, NC
Lefler's Place Café was established in 1922 by Walker Lefler. Gene and Floyd Lefler soon took over the café and gas station and began to expand the business. Sandy Bogan was next in the line of succession. As a matter of fact, Sandy Bogan was such a fixture at Lefler's for so long that many people, even today, refer to Lefler's as Sandy Bogan's even though the name was never officially changed.
As a matter of fact, some believe that Sandy and his wife Kate are still busy working at Lefler's Place. We often hear pots and pans clanging in the kitchen when no one is in there. And many times we go looking for kitchen items and can't find them. Then go back a few minutes later to find the item in plain view! Are Sandy and Kate still here?
Alice Richardson and her sister Toni bought the place from Sandy and ran it with much success for many more years. Then Alice's brother Sam Thompson bought into the business and has been a fixture here ever since!
Today, Jimmy and Laura Anderson own and operate Lefler's Place. Laura is a native of Mount Gilead and Jimmy is a happy transplant to the area. Laura, like many of the regulars at Lefler's, remembers coming to Lefler's as a child just to eat a Lefler hot dog.
The couple can be seen there at any time often with Laura's mom, Clydene, helping to keep things running right!
The Anderson's have a true love of the place and its history and want to see Lefler's Place continue to be a vital part of the Mount Gilead community for many years to come.
Of course, Lefler's Place wouldn't be right without Sam and Alice in the kitchen. Come on by to say hello!